Question:
Who are the best composers and what are the best cds to get?
2013-04-14 02:48:16 UTC
im doing gcse music and we listen to alot of classical music and i was wondering since im so new to this genre who are the best composers from all the time periods of classical and what the best cds are to listen to :) any help would be highly appreciated
Seven answers:
wvculturallover
2013-04-14 10:38:06 UTC
Your question is very broad. It's so broad that books have been written on the topic. May I suggest these various NPR books that discuss the composers, their music and suggested recordings of them:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_3?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=npr%20classical%20music&sprefix=NPR%2Cstripbooks%2C233

Then there is "The Penguin Guide to the 1000 Finest Classical Recordings: The Must-Have CDs and DVDs"

http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Guide-Finest-Classical-Recordings/dp/0241955947/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365960907&sr=1-3&keywords=penguin+guide+to+cds

Also there is the yearly book "The Gramophone Classcial Music Guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Gramophone-Classical-Music-Guide-2012/dp/0860249247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365960971&sr=1-1&keywords=gramophone+classical+music+guide+2013

Read and learn, then purchase the recommended CDs or locate videos of the music on You Tube.
del_icious_manager
2013-04-15 05:10:05 UTC
Rather than relying on other people's favourites (and these people's musical taste might be VERY different from yours, after all), I would steer you towards the three books below which give an excellent introduction to classical music and how to start building a collection. They are all cheaply available through sites like Amazon.

1) 'The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection' by Ted Libbey. It has good info on the 350 most renowned classical works.

2) 'The Rough Guide to Classical Music' (various contributors)

3) 'Classical Music for Dummies' by David Pogue and Scott Speck

Happy exploring!
2013-04-14 03:04:53 UTC
Really opinionated but I suggest Beethoven's symphonies. They're pretty well known and very interesting (especially No.5 1st mvt and No.9 4th mvt).

Herbet von Karajan conducted/recorded a full box set of each of the 9, but it's a bit expensive.

However they're all available individually on iTunes etc.

Other big composers: J.S Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Berlioz, Brahms, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy, Tsaikovsky, Shostakovich, Prokoviev, Rachmaninov plus many many others.

That covers Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist and early 20th century
PotatoesGonnaPotate
2013-04-14 03:31:35 UTC
I like Chopin and Schumann. Grieg is good too; Holberg Suite = happy face. Can you tell I love the Romantic period?

If you like classical period stuff, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, and early Beethoven are good.

Bach, Pachelbel, Telemann, and Vivaldi are notable Baroque composers.

Mahler, Sibelius, Debussy, and Strauss are Post-Romantic (transition from Romantic to modern), while Copland was a prominent Modern period composer.

Villa-Lobos is an example of 20th-century Brazilian music, which offers a different atmosphere than European/American composers. I quite like Villa-Lobos, especially Choro No. 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByuJOjWVbUI

I hope this is helpful! :)
Doctor John
2013-04-18 02:05:07 UTC
You might also refer to the Gramophone Classical Music Guide
Monidipa
2013-04-14 07:45:42 UTC
I love Mozart, you should listen to his music! Amazing! Also I like Bach and Beethoven. Some of Mozarts peices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtqjP3-x3kI - --Mozart Nr. 545

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im_tJLeo2qU -- Twinkle Variations -- I could play this

Beethoven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ3ba9zwx6c -- I could play this.

Thsese are just some of Mozart's peices. He also wrote Eine Kliene Natchmusik. I did a speech on him. And Bach did Minuet in C. Hope I helped!
mateen
2017-02-28 14:01:19 UTC
beneficial, you acquire to feed your iPod good music, and a minimum of a sprint Jazz is surely needed. i'm going to supply you with some concepts for a pair of folk that's advisable before everything and then some album techniques too. Artists: Miles Davis--trumpet--i'm a extensive Miles fan, so according to threat that's affecting this recommendation yet..."so what?" Miles performed with lots of distinctive artists and for this way of long term that listening to him will help you already know the Jazz scene of the time classes. John Coltrane--tenor saxophone--all human beings listens to Coltrane, and that they might desire to!! he's probable the main influential saxophonist of all time and between the terrific musicians for his character and musicianship. Thelonious Monk--piano--Musician to the optimal degree. Absolute genius. you will possibly desire to placed some Monk on the ol' iPod. paintings Blakey--drums--He performed with lots of musicians that he prompted incredibly some human beings and each drummer listens to him. Albums: "variety of Blue"--Miles Davis--1959--Columbia--Please, please make this your first CD. I heard somebody on solutions say that if extraterrestrial beings got here down from area at present and asked for one good reason that the human race should not be exterminated, "variety of Blue" might shop us. I agree. the terrific merchandising Jazz album ever, and for my area the terrific album ever recorded. Please, please get this one "Blue prepare"--John Coltrane--1957--this may well be a reliable creation to Coltrane with some classic tunes on it. Coltrane has some somewhat perplexing issues to hearken to, yet this may well be an excellent start up. he's an superb musician and performer. This band grow to be somewhat warm. Lee Morgan is outstanding. appropriate 2d album. "Monk & Coltrane"--Thelonius Monk--1957--i might desire to be providing you with too lots Coltrane, yet this album is incredibly heavy. you are able to somewhat pay attention how lots Monk impression Coltrane and only Monk's organic skills and genius on show. i'm hoping this facilitates, shop listening, AE