Question:
Mold on my brand new clarinet reeds!?
?
2007-05-10 18:41:10 UTC
Ok so i bought rico's, but i have been playing the clarinet for 3 years, and i heard ricos are bad reeds, so i started to buy vandorens, and a few days later this black crud would start to build up on the reed, i have a reedguard, i thought that was the problem, so i jest left the reed in the case that it came in, and it still happens, it doesnt happen to anyone else! I always wipe off the x-tra saliva off of the reed when im one, i thought that would help but apparently not, help!
Three answers:
2007-05-12 18:19:01 UTC
I use Ricos. They're fine. Do you leave the reed on the mouthpiece when you store your clarinet? That's one cause of mold.
Ben There
2007-05-11 21:50:59 UTC
That's odd. You're doing all the correct things. The only thing i can think of is your saliva MIGHT have a chemical in it that's causing the reed to discolor. Ask your director if you can leave it in protected open aired place somewhere in the rehearsal hall so it doesn't spend ANY time molding in your case.
2007-05-11 01:52:01 UTC
u should try putting it in like rubbing alcohol or sumthing. like after u play and then rinse it off.