Question:
"Train tracks" symbol on sheet music?
Left in peace
2009-06-27 19:07:07 UTC
I've been playing violin for six years, and no one has ever explained to me what the "train tracks" symbols means! It's two slanted dashes (what it looks like when people illustrate rain on paper). and looks like this : //
what is its function? I now feel quite musically challenged.
Five answers:
?
2009-06-27 20:27:26 UTC
"Train tracks" or "Railroad tracks" are properly termed caesura. Others have already told your their function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesura
2009-06-27 19:50:13 UTC
A "//" means you play the note for it's full duration (unless another marking tells you differently) and stop, wait for a cue and start playing again (if playing solo, start again when you want).

This is the traditional way of writing it, of course, but another way to notate it is "/", and that can be a breath mark OR "train tracks". It should be fairly easy to tell between the two, whether you have a rest before or after, it probably means a longer pause. If notes are on both sides, it probably is just a breath mark. However, this does not always hold true, so ask a teacher, or some one of knowledge on the subject. I don't mean to offend you by that last statement if I did, you were smart to ask and know, rather than to crash and burn.
Pistachio
2009-06-28 06:46:51 UTC
It's a break in the music. It's like a fermata/pause only you don't hold the note, you just stop and wait. When playing in a band, your conductor will cue you to start again with his baton. If playing in a smaller ensemble without a conductor, the leader (the person who cues the start and end of the song) will bring you back in.
Izayaa
2009-06-27 21:46:03 UTC
Actually, it is a breah mark...It means take a deep breath, then when your director cues you, you play....But thats with instruments that you play with your mouth...With string instrument, it means to pause until given a cue...
Mamianka
2009-06-27 19:20:56 UTC
STOP - and wait for a cue to continue. If a fermata (*birdseye*) tells you to HOLD and wait - then the train tracks tell you to STOP and wait.