Question:
Why is Chopin's Minute Waltz called a waltz?
2007-05-10 12:13:57 UTC
It is so fast I don't think anyone can dance to it. I don't play piano but I listen to classical music.
Four answers:
pepper
2007-05-10 16:41:31 UTC
A waltz, or valse from the French term, is a piece of music in triple meter, most often 3/4 but sometimes 3/8 or 6/8. A waltz has a 1.2.3. - 1.2.3. count and (generally) a slow tempo. Waltzes typically have one chord per measure, with the root of the chord as the first note.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltz_%28music%29

You wouldn't necessarily "dance" to the fast melody, but the line that keeps the time.. the back beat.

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/scores/minute-waltz.pdf

http://www.pianoparadise.com/downloadmp3/ChopinMinuteWaltz.mp3

Ever hear a fast jig? lol
?
2007-05-10 12:18:50 UTC
Because it's written in 3/4 time, as waltzes typically are.

I don't believe he ever intended this to be "dance-able"!

Here's a Wikipedia link that gives a bit of information about the piece, including the interesting fact that the title is better understood as "minute" meaning "little" or "small" (pronounced 'my-newt') rather than "minute" implying "60- second"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_Waltz
BlackSwan
2007-05-10 12:22:30 UTC
BECAuseE IT'S A WALTZ!!