Question:
Sound difference in grand piano and upright piano?
2015-04-17 11:04:28 UTC
So, I'm looking to buy a piano. And I know the main differences in these two pianos (upright/grand). But I want to know if you play a song ment for a grand piano, will it sound the same, or very close, on an upright? Here are some examples of songs I would be playing on the upright -
Lost In Paradise- Evanescence
Elan - Nightwish
When You're Gone - Avril Lavigne
And songs alike. I think I'm probably more in the upright piano price range; but if they don't sound very close at all to a grand piano, I'll wait until I can afford a grand. But like I said, my main question is, how close does it sound to a grand. Thank you.
Five answers:
Tim
2015-04-17 11:42:50 UTC
There are only a few very rare instances when a specific piano is needed. Even those mostly involve things like special pianos with extended ranges such as a 100+ key piano. You can play anything on any piano with at least 88 keys and the vast majority of music on smaller instruments. Grand pianos tend to have that big, full sound we all love, but you can use any piano with the needed range.

EDIT: Mamiank's discussion about digital pianos made me think to add this link. It is an answer I gave about digital pianos that might help you as well.

https://answersrip.com/question/index?qid=20150417114035AAUuQEA
2016-03-08 10:48:38 UTC
Aside from the obvious horizontal / vertical orientation of the strings, the actions are completely different. The grand piano action relies on gravity to do much of it's work while the upright uses springs to accomplish the same thing. The two most noticeable differences requiring springs in an upright are the dampers and the hammer return. Very few upright pianos have a true sostenuto function, though your can also find lower end grands that use a "bass sustain" instead of a sostenuto. Furthermore, because of the grand's design, the entire case is used to project sound, whereas the upright is bound by the sound board and the case does little to project the sound. The "wing" (lid) of a grand piano projects sound into the room in a way that an upright cannot. For the most part an upright actually uses the wall behind it to project the sound into the room. That's why you want to keep it at least 5" away from the wall. I've seen plenty of recitals with upright pianos. They are also often used in dance studios where floor space is at a premium and allocated for dance. Bonus answer: I have a small grand and a fist full of digital pianos and keyboards along with a 1970s analog organ. Edit: @ Wayne T. What are layered strings. If you're thinking about over stringing, that is used on all modern pianos. Though I believe you might still be able to special order a John Broadwood & Son piano with straight stringing. If you're speaking of wound strings, that's a 100% deal. There are no pianos without wound bass strings.
Mamianka
2015-04-17 12:08:42 UTC
It's all about string length when dealing with piano sound. A tall upright - like the bog old-fashioned uprights on earlier days, at least 48 inches tall or higher - have greater string length than a hideous "baby grand". Spinet pianos, popular in living rooms because they are small in height , altho 88 keys, have terrible sound quality - and mechanics. Once you hit a 6 foor grand, or a 48 inch upright, you are going to be OK - but these come at a COST - and weigh 600-8 900 pounds easily, and take up a lot of space. so - a good digital keyboard, with at least velocity -sensitive action ( if not weighted action - but now we are getting heavy for a synth) will be fine. You are NOT any kind of degreed/trained pianist, from your description - so for the pop stuff yo intend to play, a good digital would be fine. If you wish an acoustic - which, within the parameters I described above, can be better - or WORSE - then you now know what sizes to aim for. We have owned a few Steinways - my husband is a very fine pianist (we both have multiple conservator dgress and make out living in classical music and music education for many decades) and we also own a few good digital keyboards, for commercial chamber music - run-outs for garden parties, weddings, etc. where we must provide a decent instrument. None of the digital s TOUCH our big Steinway grand - but for what we use them for, they are more that suitable. They also weight FAR less, never need tuning, COST a small fraction of what the Steinway cost us - and get the job done.
dolphin
2015-05-09 00:35:23 UTC
A great upright will sound better than a lousy grand. The advantage of a grand is the action....it is almost always better than an upright, but even that is not always true.

It depends on the piano. There are some amazing upright pianos.
I. Jones
2015-04-17 14:23:12 UTC
A "song" ment for a piano is meant for a piano, not for a grand piano or an upright piano.

... caveat for Rhodes or Wurlitzer Electric pianos.