Question:
why is classical music so unpopular these days? You barely hear it anymore.?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
why is classical music so unpopular these days? You barely hear it anymore.?
Fifteen answers:
2007-05-10 19:09:34 UTC
Toronto has a classical radio station and it even has a sub to the east so I gget classical from west of Toronto and east almost the entire distance across the top of Lake Ontario.

web site is something like classical96.com (can't remember exactly as it is programmed into all my radios so I don't access online)
Dubichev
2007-05-10 19:04:10 UTC
I like operas by Verdi and Mozart.
2007-05-10 19:02:53 UTC
I like classical. I like Bach, Brahms, and Beethoven.
Hanya
2007-05-13 11:20:44 UTC
I'm singing in an Opera Choir and we performed already 2 opera's in a scenic way, we sang all choirpieces by heart.

It was great! I will always love classical music, it's touching and healing the soul. It's real music.
2007-05-13 11:01:46 UTC
I am a lover of classical music and I hope it stays with us forever!
music_ed_29
2007-05-12 13:03:29 UTC
I think there are a lot of reasons. One of it is that we don't teach children to listen to it. Sad fact is that our children are already the second, maybe even the third generation that doesn't grow up with it. Radio stations play what people want to hear. Because a lot of people barely know classical (b.t.w. it is in fact a wrong word. Classical music is music from the Mozart Era only) they don't ask for it.

Most classical music requires you to listen active and be quiet while you listen. At least until you a peace that good that you can do other things while listening to it. That makes it less good as background music while you work

There is hope though. As a conductor, I give a lot of concerts with a chamber orchestra.(ensemble) Heavily (Or Heavenly) inspired by the way Leonard Bernstein did it, I go to schools with 10 to 15 musicians.

Most children, in age varying from 4 to abut 15 years actually do admit that they liked the concerts, more than then they thought. It requires that we, as musicians try to build a bridge. Not by saying "Our music is the best", "This is true culture and your music is rubbish"

First of all, it isn't. There's a lot of classical music that had exact the same purpose as popmusic now. Entertainment!

Not every single piece of Classical music is better then Rap, Hip Hop or other Pop(ular) music. It has a total different meaning. I may like it or not. Just as other may like classical music or not.

The fact is they can 'live peacefully together'

If we give young people the feeling that their music is Rubbish, trash etc. They will never start listening classical music.

Filmmusic builds huge bridges here.

Listen to Starwars filmmusic, then to the Planets

Listen to Lord of the Rings, then to a small part of Wagners Ring.

Creating associations does miracles. Just complaining doesn't. Only we can change the situation!!

Edward
Bunky the Clown
2007-05-12 06:05:50 UTC
I hear it plenty. All I want, in fact.
Ben There
2007-05-11 14:46:22 UTC
I think we don't expose kids to any classical music. If we don't give our children the chance to listen to classical they'll never do it on their own. Out of sight (or in this case-earshot), Out of mind.
heesch
2016-10-05 01:16:54 UTC
You do understand that "mamianka" is probable in mattress good now, and that by way of asking this you're making every physique else ask your self who's that this, and why are they attacking mamianka? mamianka, is a pretty respected contributor on right here - and she or he does could post with dissimilar stupid questions, that usually even severe ones (like yours) would nicely be misinterpreted as being insulting. possibly you might have been greater polite in this reaction? As for the dress code in classical track - might you're taking somebody donning a miniskirt and occasional cut back good heavily in the event that they have been to play piano? or the different tool? Like every physique else, classical musicians have a uniform for artwork... regrettably that uniform is slightly formal, in spite of the incontrovertible fact that it rather is a call for. EDIT: Rachel, it replaced into in basic terms an occasion.... if somebody performs nicely it doesnt be counted what they positioned on. in spite of the incontrovertible fact that - once I wore a dress which confirmed a sprint (ok, lots) of cleavage, and that i felt like screaming on the objective audience "MY FACE IS right here." That dress distracted the objective audience and my ensemble... which replaced into not stable. :P
Ben
2007-05-11 00:14:18 UTC
There are two reasons: The first is that we had a major cultural revolution in the mid 20th century. The world went through two world wars, and that of course left the United States and Britain in strong position for cultural imperialism. Soldiers returned to their homelands and the baby-boomer generation was born. In the mean time women made a lot of social progress - after all they were running things back home while all the men were at war. African Americans were soon to follow. Not long after the war was the civil rights movement. After that it was all about - sex, love, drugs, and peace. All these cultural changes brought about changes in music as well. People wanted something new.

The other reason is technology. Electricity started becoming popular around the early nineteen hundreds, and other related inventions were soon to follow - the grammaphone, the radio, the television, amplifiers, electrified music instruments, etc. With new kinds of technology it was possible to make new kinds of music. In addition, for the first time we had recorded music - and record stores. Music was no longer for the wealthy elite who could afford to attend performances. Coupled with the cultural revolution, it was inevitable that rock 'n' roll would eventually take over.
Mikey :)
2007-05-11 04:43:03 UTC
I believe it mostly has to do with attention span! People don't have ability to sit through and enjoy long pieces of music anymore.

The good news is, classical music is still being used. Check out www.kickassclassical.com for a list of classical pieces used in pop culture.
docscholl
2007-05-10 19:07:55 UTC
Maybe it lacks airplay on FM stations in the United States, but much of Europe has tons of classical stations.

If you are even remotely interested, iTunes radio has a wealth of classical stations in sub-genres.

Great stuff, too!
Manx
2007-05-10 19:06:49 UTC
because nowadays the genre of music have been scattered. Through internet the kind of music and cultural music from other countries have been exposed.
2007-05-11 09:15:29 UTC
It is not heard because of the popularity of trash like rap hop hop metal etc. It is sad lack of good taste that takes no intelligence to listen to.
LOST_fanatic:)!
2007-05-11 09:21:55 UTC
cuz its horrible we dont live back in the olden days!!!