Question:
What is the reason every culture has classical music ?
InfoYogi
2007-05-11 15:48:36 UTC
why doesn't it die, what does it serve the culuture
Nine answers:
2007-05-11 21:48:14 UTC
One of my favorite quotes:

"The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music. Bodies never lie" - Agnes de Mille

Its so true. Classical music is the beginning, it will always be there, it will always be so pure and beautiful, untouched by modern day technology.

I train vocally in classical Indian music, and I have always loved classical Indian music (North & South). Something so wonderful about it. When I hear sitar live, it touches every part of my soul. The bansuri flows like water. Its not just for "old" people. If you have understanding of classical music from anywhere, you will appreciate it.
The Dumb Head
2007-05-13 14:09:19 UTC
Classical music evolves from the folk song. Every country has its own folk songs which are attached to the root of the civilisation of that part of the world. Due to evolution, folk song learnt by a group of people transformed into classical music.

So long the civilisation will not forget its root, folk and Classical music would remain.

In the form of classical music Indian Classical Music has a tremendous amount of richness and clearly the best in the whole world of music.

For further discussion on Indian Classical Music, I am available on a live chat or e-mail.
Hero
2007-05-11 22:53:24 UTC
Because every culture has had a classical era. Perhaps many, many years from now the classical music WE know will die, and the rock and rap that we listen to today, will be considered classic.
greg t
2007-05-12 19:33:10 UTC
I would just like to point out that classical music, in the West, was historically not just for the elite (I would agree that it currently is, and sometimes was, though). Opera was enjoyed by the common people, and was the most popular form of public entertainment for a couple hundred years.

source: music degree graduate
2007-05-12 01:03:15 UTC
classical music is not necessarily the "base" for modern music. yes, it happens to be old, and rock and rap happen to be new. however, both of these musics were written for different reasons.

the music which we consider to be "classical" today (i.e. mozart, beethoven, bach) is music that was written for the culturally elite. it is also referred to as "art music". this music, just like any other form of art, was traditionally financially supported by nobility or royalty. it was written by educated musicians for other educated listeners.

this same phenomenon of elite music essentially exists in any culture with which there is a division between the elite and the common. for instance, there is a complete classical tradition in north india - "hindustani" - comparable to european classical music. it is traditionally devotional hindu music taken to a new level with musical virtuosity and technicality. in other words, it is folk music which is approached academically and supported by the patronage of the elite.

classical music traditionally served the same purpose as any other form of art, which was to entertain and enrich the lives of the elite. today, classical music functions as a base for music in an academic way, in that a student musician or instrumentalist will study it. likewise, listeners enjoy it due to its articstic content and creativity, not just its sound alone. it is for this reason that it does not die.
urmi
2007-05-11 23:15:33 UTC
every thing need a base. so, classical music is the base of today music. beyond the limit we listen the western music but our mind should be relaxed by listening the classical music. as we know that the first school of a child is its mother similarly the first school of all the type of music is classical music, classical music is the mother of all of the musics.
denimcap
2007-05-11 23:10:24 UTC
classical music is timeless. although i love james brown and coldplay, they could never relax or inspire me like mozart or chopin. and the voice of someone like mariah carrey or mary j blidge doesn't make me feel like opera does. they're all great in their own rites, but not the same as the art of the past ages. when you think about it, most of the classical musicians, just like the classical painters and writers, were brilliant men and women -- and their gifts were harnessed for the composition of great art, that lasts for a reason.
2007-05-13 13:38:16 UTC
It's to do with the basic music notes. We may now digitize music but the base notes remain the same. Its like a Mathematical theorem. A computer is merely solving it but its basis remains the classical component. the same is with music.

Certain classical sounds even have curative properties. The reason is their sync with nature and our bodies.

According to wikipedia classical music is encompassing a broad period from roughly 1000 to the present day.

According to one school of thought, musical works are best understood in the context of their place in musical history; for adherents to this approach, this is essential to full enjoyment of these works. There is a widely accepted system of dividing the history of classical music composition into stylistic periods. According to this system, the major time divisions are:

* Ancient music - the music generally before the year 476, the approximate time of the fall of the Roman Empire. Most of the extant music from this period is from ancient Greece.

* Medieval, generally before 1450. Monophonic chant, also called plainsong or Gregorian Chant, was the dominant form until about 1100. Polyphonic (multivoiced) music developed from monophonic chant throughout the late Middle Ages and into the Renaissance.

* Renaissance, about 1450 – 1600, characterized by greater use of instrumentation, multiple melodic lines and by the use of the first bass instruments.

* Baroque, about 1600 – 1750, characterized by the use of complex tonal, rather than modal, counterpoint, and growing popularity of keyboard music (harpsichord and pipe organ).

* Classical, about 1750 – 1820, an important era which established many of the norms of composition, presentation and style. Also, the classical era is marked by the disappearance of the harpsichord and the clavichord in favour of the piano, which from then on would become the predominant instrument for keyboard performance and composition.

* Romantic, 1820 – 1901, a period which codified practice, expanded the role of music in cultural life and created institutions for the teaching, performance and preservation of works of music. Characterized by increased attention to melody and rhythm, as well as expressive and emotional elements, paralleling romanticism in other art forms.

* Impressionistic music, 1910-1920, a period in which French composers as well as artists produced art that went against the traditional German ways of art and music. Characterized by arhythmia, the pentatonic scale, long, flowing phrases and a use of brass instruments as the main parts in creating the texture, rather than stringed instruments.

* Modern, 1905-1985, a period which represented a crisis in the values of classical music and its role within intellectual life, and the extension of theory and technique. Some theorists, such as Arnold Schoenberg in his essay "Brahms the Progressive," insist that Modernism represents a logical progression from 19th century trends in composition; others hold the opposing point of view, that Modernism represents the rejection or negation of the method of Classical composition.

* 20th century, usually used to describe the wide variety of post-Romantic styles composed through the year 1999, which includes late Romantic, Modern and Postmodern styles of composition.

* The term contemporary music is sometimes used to describe music composed in the late 20th century through present day.

* The prefix neo is usually used to describe a 20th century or contemporary composition written in the style of an earlier period, such as classical, romantic, or modern. Stravinsky's Pulcinella, for example, is a neoclassical composition.
2007-05-12 01:22:36 UTC
old people appreciate it...so when young people get old...they appreciate it...and because there's always gonna b old ppl...there'll always be cultural classical music =)