Question:
Is Baroque style music usually absolute music or program music?
Princess
2007-05-10 19:18:09 UTC
Is Baroque style music usually absolute music or program music?
Six answers:
hartwell
2007-05-11 08:28:37 UTC
The definition of absolute music is: instrumental music having no intended association with a story, poem, idea, or scene. Therefore Baroque music is an example of absolute music. Technically, program music was started in the 19th C w/the romantic mvt, in particular Berlioz created this idea & then others like Liszt (w/his symphonic poems) ran w/it.

Definition of program music: instrumental music associated with a story, poem, idea, or scene, often found in the romantic period.

These definitions are from "Music, an appreciation" by Roger Kamien. I teach Music Appreciation which is a music history class...we skim the history of music.
nichols
2016-11-04 17:13:25 UTC
Absolute Music Composers
clicksqueek
2007-05-11 06:31:35 UTC
Most instrumental music written during the Baroque period is "absolute" music. Most of the time the composer isn't attempting to depict or portray anything in particular in this music (except, perhaps, a certain mood or atmosphere, or something like a sense of serenity or excitement). It simply consists of "abstract" patterns of sound (but marvelously complex, interesting and beautiful patterns of sound).

There are famous exceptions to this--for example, the four violin concertos that comprise Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" are clearly programmatic.
aMUSEd
2007-05-10 19:29:35 UTC
It's music written by composers like J.S.Bach and Telemann during the years 1600-1750.i don't really get what you're asking.it should be absolute music since it's composed by real composers.The style is contrapuntal,there's a figured bass and is not very expressive.The Baroque period comes before the classical,romantic and modern period.
julian
2016-05-20 05:29:00 UTC
Baroque music just isn't my cup of tea, as it were. I here the words 'baroque music" and i start hearing harpsichords playing a minuet. I like rock music a lot more.
Sapna S
2007-05-11 02:19:29 UTC
i think its usually absolute music. program music is by people like franz lizst. in fact if im not mistaken he was one of the ppl who started program music