Question:
I teach 5 kids piano and none own a piano or digital keyboard only little 48 key casio?
vixiixiv
2007-05-11 14:14:55 UTC
I want to send a litter out explaining that I require them to have a piano or hammer action digital, but how is the best way to tell a parent their child is not going to be successful and progress slowed because of their equipment.. to where the parent will want to get their child a digital piano or other.. sadly my kdis with a piano do and are so much better than others.. any suggestions?
Three answers:
?
2007-05-11 14:41:28 UTC
Of course I can see what your concern is here, but on the other hand, if the parents are paying you for the lessons, maybe you should just make the best of it with these 5 who only have keyboards. They'll be learning at least some basic familiarity with musical notation.

You could compose a simple letter to the parents, saying something like, "I am pleased to have your child as a student.

In the interest of maximizing the progress that my students can make, I strongly recommend that you make arrangements for your child to have access to either a standard piano or hammer-action digital instrument, if this is at all possible. A small keyboard makes it very difficult to get the full benefit of piano instruction."

Or something to that effect. However, I wouldn't advise you to say that you 'require' this..........because some of them may not be able to afford anything other than what their child has, and they may be thinking that compromised instruction is better than none at all. And at least those children then will have the satisfaction of being able to play things on their little keyboards, and perhaps some day they themselves will want to move on to a real piano, when they're in a position to do this.

And in the meantime, you're still earning your pay as a teacher!
?
2016-03-19 07:34:46 UTC
You don't. Fundamental requirement before you sign up. Just like the requirement to have a personal computer as a freshman in college, you can't do the work without the tool. Some have arranged to use the piano of a neighbor, or an institution such as a school or church, synagogue, etc. You have to be Very Disciplined, especially as a beginner, to keep that daily appointment and go to that piano, or again, you are pretty much wasting your time (and the teacher's time) Other than teaching yourself a little about how to read notes, and fundamentally learn the keyboard, no matter what you see said on Y/A, or hear, you really can't learn to play the piano well without a teacher. Best regards.
Jade T
2007-05-11 14:24:44 UTC
Have a conference with them saying that their children are not really being succeful. To bring the grades up/better playing, they need some equipment. If they don't understand, tell them they can rent one for $20 a month.!