Question:
Keyboard vs Piano???
Angel Eyes
2010-08-15 21:01:34 UTC
I want to learn to play an instrument. I wrote my own songs so I need to add melodies to them. I love how Amy Lee plays the piano in her songs for Evanescence. I want to teach myself how to play. I can't afford a piano but I can afford a keyboard. I was wondering if there was a difference between them. I want to buy an Evanescence songbook and learn to play their songs since the songs I write are kinda like theirs. I know there are some differences since the piano is so much bigger and has petals and the keyboard is electric and smaller. But does it really matter?
Five answers:
Mordent
2010-08-16 03:25:04 UTC
There are several members of the keyboard family. The main ones are piano, pipe organ, electric organ, harpsichord and electronic keyboard. All of them use a keyboard to be played, but make sounds in very different ways. Because the sounds are very different, varying from short (harpsichord) to infinite (organ) they have different techniques involved in playing them.

Piano - comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, grand piano, upright piano and electric piano/clavinova.

An electric piano will have weighted keys, pedals and will sound (reasonably) like a piano. Most also have other keyboard instrument voices such as organs, harpsichord, clavinet, wurlitzers, rhodes pianos and so on.

Keyboard - electronic keyboards are not based on the piano, but on the organ. The keys are like a hammond organ's - thin and light, but very fast.

Keyboard and piano are similar, but a little different. The notes are the same, and most of the technique in playing them are the same, but because the keys themselves are different they are quite different to play.

It is much harder to get a flowing, expressive sound from a piano sound on a keyboard because the keys are not designed to be played with a sound that has a medium length (organs sound as long as you press the key. They're also OK for harpsichord - the sound dies quite fast). As such the sound is usually quite heavy and plodding. Also the voices on a keyboard are often much lower quality than you get on an electric piano.

Because you want to play the piano and not all sorts of other instruments (like strings or synth pads etc) I'd suggest you get an electric piano rather than a straightforward keyboard. If you HAVE to get a keyboard because of the price then I'd suggest going for one with weighted keys - it is very hard to get a decent sound on what is essentially the wrong type of key.
John Papa
2010-08-16 01:49:02 UTC
For what you're going for i'd just say a keyboard. If you're going to invest in a proper piano then you should be doing more with it. An acoustic piano in my personal opinion is by far better than an electric/digital keyboard. The magic for me isn't there with an electric keyboard. I just feel a keyboard is limited in terms of expression and sound and all that jazz.
Susan
2016-03-15 03:29:19 UTC
Music is music twelve notes in an octave, you can play anything on any instrument, the only difference between a keyboard & a Piano is the sound variations while a piano is an acoustic instrument the keyboard/synth has many different tones and can provide infinite sustain. Have fun
2010-08-16 06:33:14 UTC
I have a Keyboard...so out of respect i will say Piano =]
Fatal Kiss
2010-08-15 21:51:27 UTC
They do sound different but have some things in common. To get the best info go to a music store and ask for help. good luck