Question:
What is a valvet mute?
2007-05-10 11:15:33 UTC
We're playing Galdalf from the Lord Of The Rings by Johan De Meij... and in the trumpet part, "valvet mute" is written in. What the heck is a valvet mute? My band director had no idea either.
Two answers:
music_ed_29
2007-05-10 14:00:55 UTC
The Velvet mute is also called bucket. it has the shape of a bucket and is filled with soft material. It isn't mounted in the bell but before the bell with clamps.

It gives a very soft, rather dark tone.

Good luck with Gandalf,

edward
Memyselfi
2007-05-11 00:18:47 UTC
it's a type of mute for trumpet that makes it sound like an elephant