Question:
Essay help needed! About Erik Satie's importance to later composers?
Wimbles
2011-01-15 10:02:42 UTC
The full essay question is this:
"John Cage said of Erik Satie: ‘It's not a question of Satie's relevance. He's indispensable.’ Explain, with reference to specific examples, why Satie was so important to later composers."

I'm struggling with the research for this essay (and a plan) and it would be great if someone could come up with some suggestions to narrow down my search. Also, if you could include some useful sources for me to look at that would be very much appreciated!
Thanks very much!
Four answers:
joshuacharlesmorris
2011-01-15 11:24:49 UTC
I can't write your essay for you, but some key things to look for in a library:

The influence of Vexations on John Cage.

The cast of artists who collaborated on Saties' ballet Parade. Think about how all these artists might have influenced each other because of their work together.

Early avant-garde tendencies in Saties' work. Think about his approach to harmony and form in particular.

Some good resources:

Satie the bohemian : from cabaret to concert hall by Steven Moore Whiting

The banquet years: the origins of the avant-garde in France by Roger Shattuck

Essays:

Three Brief Epigrams by Erik Satie

If you speak french:

Satie-Cocteau : les malentendus d'une entente by Ornella Volta

La musique française moderne; quinze musiciens français by André Cœuroy
?
2017-01-20 21:04:05 UTC
There are relatively no composers that are comparable to Satie, even nevertheless the suggestion of Debussy as properly suited with that style of flavor in song is a stable one. Francis Poulenc is a stable tournament additionally - he wrote some tremendous piano song that still has that French style to it. seek for CDs via Pascal Roge for those French composers, he looks very adept at reading his fellow countrymen. Oh, via the way the lady with the Flaxen Hair is "la fille aux cheveux de lin."
petr b
2011-01-15 13:45:32 UTC
Based upon what I Know, JoshuaCharles gave you some excellent direction.

Pay no attention to the second man with the badge, obviously silly and grumpy.

Remember, this is supposed to be Yahoo Answers, not Yahoo Opinions - of course, unless the question was asking for opinions, which yours does not.

It seems the silly man's chronic condition [ IMHO. ] has been getting worse.

Symptoms: Gets very upset and cranky whenever any music composed much later than ca. 1890 is discussed or deemed actual classical music, gets even worse if it is considered good, but is no longer much like, say, the music of Brahms.

Has numbers of times pronounced with the ring of authority music which is clearly classical as Not Classical !!!! (Hear him roar.)

Best regards.
Malcolm D
2011-01-15 13:20:52 UTC
I don't think Satie was all that important to later composers. John Cage had all kinds of silly opinions, so I discount his contribution. Satie's music was both unique and anachronistic... interesting for its singularity, but eccentric to say the least (like the man). I love ol' Crin Crin's music, but it is value is in its own worth - not in relation to later composers.