Question:
Where is a good place to start if I want to get into Bach music?
2007-05-09 17:51:20 UTC
What records, concerts, movements etc. are good to start with if I want to begin listening to Bach.
Nine answers:
boo kitty
2007-05-10 00:17:15 UTC
Germany. Lol, just kidding. Bach is the greatest. While Brandenburg Concertos is the most popular and well known, my favorite has always been Little Fugue in G Minor. I love his orchestra music, but his organ music will blow you away and this is the best example of that in my opinion.
awsomedpossum
2007-05-12 19:31:17 UTC
While going to period ensembles who play on instruments like Bach would have used is great, there are other interesting recordings. I would listen to Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations for piano. It was written for harpsicord, but this is a great recording. For another genious interpretation of the Goldberg Variations check out Keith Jarrett and his recording of The Well-Tempered Clavier, book 1. More about the Well Tempered Clavier at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-Tempered_Clavier. For vocal/choral music I would start with the Mass in B Minor. I would listen to the Hansler Classic with Helmuth Rilling conducting. This is a great recording and I sang Haydn's The Seasons with him conducting the English Chamber Orchestra years ago. Go to Amazon and find recordings, you can try to find them at your local library or download mp3s. You can research on Amazon without buying. That scratches the surface of his compositions. Happy listening.
jellybeanmom
2007-05-10 00:59:02 UTC
The Brandenburg Concertos.
2007-05-10 02:34:18 UTC
if you can, try to go to concerts or get recordings of historically accurate performances. this means that the musicians are using reproductions of 18th century instruments and have studied baroque performance practices. these ensembles will offer some of the best and most creative interpretations of bach and other baroque composers. for instance, english baroque soloists, amsterdam baroque orchestra, bach collegium japan, musica antiqua koln, just to name a few.

as for specific bach pieces, there are many excellent ones. it depends what type of music you like. for purely orchestral music, try the brandenburg concertos and the orchestral suites. for vocal (plus orchestra) music, try st. john and st. matthew passions, christmas oratorio, cantatas. this is only a beginning - plenty of solo keyboard works, sonatas, and other concertos.

bach is one of the most respected composers of all time, due to his mastery of advanced musical techniques. good luck and happy listening!
falconrf
2007-05-10 05:28:46 UTC
Brandenburg Concertos, especially the first 3

and

Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Lionheart ®
2007-05-11 01:00:18 UTC
I started with the Brandenburg Concertos.
blueanswers
2007-05-10 03:52:01 UTC
Brandenburg Concertos. Haha, someone else already said that. I recommend that you listen to No. 3 and No. 5, they're awesome!
docscholl
2007-05-10 14:55:09 UTC
Go to your libaray...they should have a good selection of CD's to check out.

The second place is the web...lots of free mp3 tunes to give you a listen.

Like wine, Bach has a lot of styles that suit different ears.

I am a big fan of his music for organ...the darker the better.

"Toccata & Fugue in D minor" really got me grooving on this.

The first link will clue you in.

"Bouree" motiviated me to learn it on my guitar.

(Second link).

Same thing with "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" - even though I'm Jewish, this tune is beautiful.

(third link).
rrabbit
2007-05-10 10:13:12 UTC
Try the unaccompanied cello sonatas. You may never have heard music like this.