Question:
Who is your favorite composer of the Romantic Era?
smiley56
2007-05-10 20:32:07 UTC
Who is your favorite composer of the Romantic Era?
Thirteen answers:
Ric
2007-05-11 00:59:20 UTC
So many to choose from....

My top two favorites are from either end of the Romantic era spectrum.

Gustav Mahler is my ultimate favorite, but Frédéric Chopin is a very close second.
hartwell
2007-05-11 08:21:05 UTC
To the person out there who said Stravinsky as his favorite 'Romantic' composer should check out Stravinsky's dates!! The man was born in 1882, yes but that doesn't make him romantic!! He died in 1971!!! He's famous for his 3 ballets written in 1910 (The Firebird), 1911 (Petrushka) and 1913 (Rite of Spring). If you do research on him, you'll find he was doing everything he could do GET AWAY from romantic form. He used bitonality (Major + Minor chord build together) to create dissonance. During WW1 he then became a neo-classical composer. Toward the end of his life he adopted the 12-tone technique of Schoeberg. Stravinsky would roll over in his grave if anyone ever called him a romantic composer!!!

To answer the question about favorite romantic composers:

I'd say Berlioz...he revolutionized the 19th C orchestra. He did things no other composer was doing: program music, doubling the size of the orchestra and adding the harp to his orchestra. His "Symphonie Fantastique" is always a pleasure to listen to no matter how many times you've heard it!

Then, Liszt, Verdi, and Tchaikovsky. Hard question, so many to choose from!
2016-04-01 10:05:50 UTC
In Baroque, has to be Bach. And when it comes to the violin style of that period it has to be Vivaldi. Classical, Haydn And Romantic... let's see Debussy, Franck, Ravel, Faure, maybe a little Mahler; his happier stuff. Nothing about his kids. Mussorgsky, Chopin. Does Beethoven or Brahms count? You want to go a little obscure then let's do Holst. If you want a =)Happy(= Here's the composer; Antonio Salieri.
music_ed_29
2007-05-12 12:37:11 UTC
Difficult to choose, but Gustav Mahler, Anton Bruckner, Richard Wagner and Brahms are 4 of my favorite composers. Strictly they are not from the Romantic Era, but from the late Romantic Era. But let's forget this for the moment. It would at least exclude Tsjaikovsky, Richard Strauss, Verdi and Liszt also.

Yes he is, even though he lived much later. What counts for Strawinsky doesn't count for him
Kreutzer
2007-05-12 19:04:13 UTC
I don't know why nobody said Beethoven, who was practically the inventor of the Romantic Era. my next choice would be Brahms and then C. Schumann! Finally a woman composer, but I can't help but love Brahmns.
jman14141414
2007-05-11 14:23:35 UTC
Rachmaninoff, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Chopin in that order
Mikey :)
2007-05-12 07:57:52 UTC
Tchaikovsky! He embodies the definition of the Romantic Period...

"...music which is thought to evoke a soft mood or dreamy atmosphere."

(From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_music )
Bobby S
2007-05-10 20:43:01 UTC
I can never choose between Bruckner and Stravinsky. I think I'll go with Bruckner for now, though, but that is subject to change within half an hour or so.
sarita
2007-05-10 22:29:55 UTC
Brahms, but sometimes I really love Mendelssohn.
Bunky the Clown
2007-05-11 21:08:44 UTC
I'm not really crazy about Romanticism, but I'd have to say Mendelssohn.
♪Majestik moose© ★is preggers★
2007-05-11 08:18:49 UTC
Strauss! How can you argue with the Alpine Symphony?
Erika A
2007-05-11 07:56:30 UTC
Debussy. Or Chopin.
blueanswers
2007-05-11 16:53:53 UTC
CHOPIN, RACHMANINOFF (is he even romantic? oh well)