Question:
what size reed is right?
2012-04-03 18:02:17 UTC
so ive been told its stupid to use a reed that is over a 3 but i normally use a 3 1/2 or above...if i use a 3 or lower i bow the reed. in some cases ive broken reeds first time i used them is they are 3 reeds. does this mean anything? what will help me get better sound? im really trying to get better. im in 10th grade i play frist and some of the time second clarinet when needed and i play 3rd chair. and i wanna make it to districts again but standards are going up!
Four answers:
CoachT
2012-04-05 23:14:14 UTC
There are plenty of reasons to use all sorts of sizes of reeds - that's why there are all sorts of sizes of reeds.

The reed has to work in combination with three variables:

* mouthpiece tip opening - we use a harder reed with a close tip than with a wide tip. The reason is that a close tip doesn't require the reed to move much whereas an open tip has a long way for a reed to vibrate.

* ligature tightness - the tighter the ligature, the harder it is for the reed to vibrate therefor requiring a softer reed to get it going. A loose ligature is easy to get a reed to vibrate and therefor can take a harder reed.

* your embouchure - the stronger your mouth muscles, the easier it is for you to set a heavy reed into vibration. Weak mouth muscles need a soft reed.

We have to consider all three of those variables in order to find the ideal reed. Since most student level instruments come with a medium-open mouthpiece, and most students have a medium embouchure (assuming they ever practice), and most stock ligatures are neither loose nor tight -- most students use a medium reed (2.5 to 3) for an ideal sound.

But, if you change any of those variables very much then you need something different. I play on a very wide Pomarico crystal mouthpiece for Dixieland - that demands a soft reed (1.5) for the sound I need even though I practice several hours every day. Put that same reed on a regular student mouthpiece and it squeaks really loud.

If you play so strongly that you split a usual 3 then what it means is that you need to back off some or get a mouthpiece with a wider tip so it has room to move. It could also mean that your mouthpiece has a closer tip than a stock student and you really do need a harder reed. The widest Vandoren mouthpiece needs a 1 - 1.5 and the closest needs a 5 for ideal vibration.

Now, why the differences in mouthpieces? Tone and timbre. A hard reed sounds woody and warm. A soft reed sounds bright and jazzy. A hard reed answers slow though and a soft one very fast (like Dixieland). You get the mouthpiece that allows you to use a reed that produces a sound you want for your style and the music. The typical medium-open student mouthpiece and a 2.5-3 reed produces a good all-around compromise sound that works for pop, classical, and march music ok. Not great on any of them. Since you'd like to make a district wind ensemble, consider a nice Vandoren 5RV with a Vandoren 3-4 reed and you'll have a deep warm "traditional" clarinet sound that wind bands and orchestras like. Expect it to wear you out pretty easy though.

If you want a combination that gives you ability to last for a long time (endurance), a wide range, and a so-so compromise tone then look at the B45 with a 2.5 - 3 reed.

For a jazz/dixieland sound (Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw) and some fast answering with not much air, then look at the 5JB with a 1.5 reed (or a Pomarico wide tip).

There's no reason you can't own all of them (and others) for different combinations in different uses too. It's all a matter of getting your mouthpiece/reed combination ideal for the sound you want at the moment. Holst Suites? Nice, tight 5RV and a hard reed. In the Mood? Super wide and super soft.

The myth that "better players use harder reeds" is simply a myth. If it wasn't then Vandoren wouldn't make professional reeds at 1.5 to 5.0

PS: if you're using Rico (or any other inexpensive) reeds - it's time to switch to something decent like the Vandoren traditionals. [note: Vandoren reeds are harder than the same sized Rico]
camarillo
2016-09-16 06:23:24 UTC
Try to begin out with a medium or tender. I play clarinet and I use a two one million/two inch reed. I'm no longer definite whata width of reed could be well for an alto... however the men and women at a track retailer can aid ya with that.
Janis H
2012-04-03 18:07:05 UTC
OMG it varies so much company to company. There are no set sizes... what brand are you using? And yes, there is a reason to use 4s, it's because they're thicker and hold up to long play better. And which brand you use depends on which mouthpiece you're using and which ligature you have... so many variable it's impossible to say, hey you should be using blah de blah...

Have you ever tried the woodwind and the brasswind (wwbw.com)? You can order and try different mouthpieces and buy a bazillion reed combinations. it made such a world of difference for me to change mouthpiece/reed combos.
Bob
2012-04-03 20:39:09 UTC
3 and a half is very common for high school clarinetists.