Question:
who are the modern equivalents of past musicians such as beethoven, mozart, etc?
blackroserequiem
2007-05-10 19:11:37 UTC
i would think neal peart would be a front runner, because of his drumming skills, and he writes all the rush songs.

i would also think edward van halen or frank zappa could also be.
Five answers:
Bobby S
2007-05-10 20:48:59 UTC
To me, the identifying quality of Beethoven and Mozart was not simply the raw talent, but their ability to completely renovate the genre. Beethoven practically invented the Romantic period of music, in the time when Classical was still king. Not only was he an amazing performer, but he was innovative.

So, using talent and creativity as my criteria, I would say that the Beatles are the closest modern equivalents. If they aren't modern enough for your taste, though, I guess I'd go with Black Sabbath or Deep Purple. Nobody since then has really revolutionized the music scene to the extent that they have.
jman14141414
2007-05-11 21:36:20 UTC
I'm guessing you're not a classical musician nor a popular musician. Beyond Pachelbel's Canon and The 1812 Overture what classical music have you actually listened to and studied? There isn't ANY way you could honestly compare popular music to classical music. Yes popular music has it's amazing musicians(EDV, Zappa, Elliott Smith, Dylan, Brian Wilson etc in their own way) but they have no where near the "talent"(if you want to call it that) to compose a piece like Shostakovitch's 2nd Piano Trio or 8th String Quartet, Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony etc. Nor the skill to play those pieces. Yes it takes an amount of talent to write popular music(production wise that is) but come on to compare freaking Neil Peart or Jimmy Page to pretty much any classical(not meaning the time period)composer is ridiculous. Listen to those pieces I just mentioned and tell me it's even close to ANY Rush, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen or classic rock song.
pepper
2007-05-11 03:04:22 UTC
Darius Milhaud, Arnold Schoenberg, Aaron Copland, Philip Glass, Kitaro, Vangelis, John Cage, Samuel Adler, Klaus Schulze, Dave Brubeck, Claude Bolling, Keith Jarrett, John Williams, Dana Wilson .. there are many.

And yes, Frank Zappa was a brilliant composer! (He didn't just do the familiar tunes most of us are familiar with.) I don't know how well his music will stand the test of time - but we shall see, 'eh?

Eddie Van Halen - He really doesn't have a body of work that reflects the requisite composition talent for long term remembrance. Peart is not a composer - he is a musician and lyricist.
susandiane311
2007-05-11 02:33:45 UTC
You've got to be kidding! I love rock and roll as much as the next person. However, classical music is on a completely different (and higher) plane than any other genre,, As the cliche goes, you can't compare apples to oranges.

And trying to compare Beethoven and Mozart to the drummer from Rush borders on blasphemy if you have any respect and appreciation for classsical music.
Chew my Fat
2007-05-11 02:38:02 UTC
it would have to be;

Billie Piper

Britney Spears

Paris hilton

Jessica Simpson

Spice girls

Pu55y Cat Dolls

They are the true genius in modern music!